sábado, 7 de marzo de 2015

Road trip through LaMancha

Our youngest son was selected for provincial basketball tryouts, so last weekend meant road trip!  And, luckily, instead of going north towards Toledo and Madrid, we travelled south through rural LaMancha and windmill country, hot on the tails of Don Quijote.

(These drive-by photos are not very good, but I'm sure some of my gardening friends would like to see how different the landscape is here.)


Today, many hills in La Mancha are dotted with modern wind turbines. 


These turbines are massive compared to the olive trees on the hillside below.


Surely Don Quijote must have visited this castle in Almonacid.  
It is still used for historical re-enactments and films.


Look!  Our first glimpse of an old windmill


The windmills of Consuegra, made famous by Don Quijote



We'll have to stop by one day to get decent photos.


Back to our village once again - it's always nice to come home at the end of a long day.


3 comentarios:

  1. Dear Karen, I throught that we were famous for our windmills! Lovely to see your Spanish countryside. The modern windmills I have seen once from a plane. There are many of them. Groetjes, Hetty

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Hetty, of course Holland is most famous for its windmills, but Don Quijote made ours famous by thinking they were giants and trying to joust with them. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that your windmills were used for water drainage, while ours were used for milling grain. Saludos, Karen

      Eliminar
  2. I love the old windmills...I did not know there were so many there.

    ResponderEliminar