lunes, 8 de diciembre de 2014

In a Vase on Monday - Giving Thanks

Like many Americans who live abroad, we are usually not able to celebrate Thanksgiving Day on the fourth Thursday of November as Abraham Lincoln would have it.  With school and work, it is hard to find the time, and here in LaMancha it is often hard to find a turkey!

This year, we celebrated Thanksgiving quite late - yesterday, to be exact.  Turkey with all it's trimmings - everything homemade and nothing out of a can, box or bag.  Here, there's no corner supermarket to pick up cranberry sauce or pre-packaged stuffing mix, and I envision it as a meal that would be very similar to that of our forefathers (and mothers!).  Heck, I even had to "hunt down" the bird!

My husband had knee surgery a few days ago, so this year's meal was quite informal (I figured that crutches and fine china were not a good mix).  For the centerpiece, I threw yet more roses into yet another old coffee pot, along with the ivy from the vase of 2 weeks ago.  It would seem that my vases are stuck in a rut.


In the kitchen, with apple pie and pumpkin bread


Abraham Darby gets darker and more orangey in the fall.




The Shepherdess may look delicate, but she's one tough cookie!


Hope you also enjoyed a Happy Thanksgiving!


Once again, I'm linking with Rambling In the Garden's In a Vase on Monday meme, where garden bloggers post photos of arrangements with flowers and greenery from their gardens.  Stop by!


12 comentarios:

  1. Dear Karen, those deeply rooted traditions make a lot of work! But it is good to cherish them. I hope your husband will be better soon. You noticed my new kitchen curtain, I have sewn it a few week ago. For the next five years there will be pink flowers in the kitchen, don't you think?
    Groetjes,

    Hetty

    ResponderEliminar
  2. This is really beautiful Karen, I really like the use of the Tea pot too, it reminds me of my Dad who used to display plants in Tea Pots too.

    ResponderEliminar
  3. The roses are beautiful, Karen, and your background - yum! I hope you enjoyed your belated Thanksgiving and that your husband recovers quickly from his surgery.

    ResponderEliminar
  4. How lovely to see full blown perfect roses still - and of course a delightful addition to your Thanksgiving meal. Hope the knee op proves successful and your husband is not hobbling for long

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Well, I wouldn't say "perfect"... they're a bit frostbitten from the night before.

      Eliminar
  5. So lovely to see your beautiful roses - I particularly like The Shepherdess - one to consider for my garden next spring. Your apple pie and pumpkin bread look so appetising!! Happy Thanksgiving to you & I hope your husband is recovering from his knee surgery.

    ResponderEliminar
  6. Your roses and coffee pot combine to make a wonderful arrangement. Happy Thanksgiving belatedly. We didn't have a traditional one this year so your descriptions have awakened my taste buds.

    ResponderEliminar
  7. I like teapots as a vase especially with roses, seems apt somehow. Your roses look very beautiful still, I still have a few in the garden but not good enough to pick. I hope your husband's op is a success, mine will have to have one sometime but has been told he is too young yet for a replacement, is that what your husband had?

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. No, he broke his meniscus in May. It's a typical sports injury, but he did it... attaching the irrigation system to a new tree! I was all my fault, of course. I planted the tree in March, broke my back in April, so he had to add the dripper as I couldn't. He simply knelt down and BAM! That was it. See? Gardening can be dangerous! You should have seen us: me in a back brace and him hobbling around. We looked as if we had been in a train wreck!

      Eliminar
  8. Happy belated Thanksgiving! The table looks so pretty with those flowers.... the pie looks good too! I love the rose "Shepardess". All the best to your husband for a rapid recovery!

    ResponderEliminar
  9. How wonderful to be able to celebrate Thanksgiving...and I love the roses for your table...I was away for Thanksgiving and created a couple of vases while there.

    ResponderEliminar