martes, 18 de diciembre de 2012

The knitty gritty

My grandmother taught me to knit when she babysat my sister and myself as children.  I remember the whole process being very frustrating for my younger sister, who is left-handed (sorry, K!), but I enjoyed it.  Over the years, I knit a scarf or two, but it wasn't until my pregnancies that I became a full-blown knitter, later graduating from layette sets to complicated beaded lace knitting.

In Spain, I often take my projects with me to the park while my boys play soccer, and my abilities have met with mixed reactions: from "How did you do that?  That's so cool!" to "What, are you a grandmother?".  Younger women in Spain simply just don't knit, and I can honestly say I don't know a single person under the age of 70 who does.

It's also hard to find good-quality yarn in Spain, so I usually stock up when I go home to the States, or I order on-line from British stores.  Ravelry.com, a free online needle-arts community, has been a fabulous source of inspiration.  If you're a member, you can find me at http://www.ravelry.com/projects/guirigirl

I just finished this flower-power hat for my one-year-old niece:
 
What are you knitting now?

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario